"If you hear a voice within you say, 'You cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." — Vincent Van Gogh
It's been a long time since I've been around. Things have been mighty crazy for me the past couple of years. I graduated college, picked up jobs, photographed weddings and portraits, and basically made every effort I could to stay afloat. One of the last times I logged into DA I received a Daily Deviation, which was super awesome. You'd think that would have inspired me to keep going on here, but right around that time I entered a frustrating phase of my life, and I just didn't want to be involved with social media so much. Still, I won't deny the DD was a pleasant and welcomed surprise!
The past two years I haven't had (or haven't made) much time for personal work, but now I'm making a point to do more of it. Personal work allows us artists to explore who we are in the artistic realm in ways that paid work most of the time just can't. Personal work is a healthy and vital pursuit. The work I did my first two years on deviantART was all personal. I created on my own time, from my own will, and then things changed. My hobby became business, and I fell in love with the notion that I could get paid to do what makes me happy. For the most part, my amazing clients have allowed me creative reign, and that has been great. But I still missed doing work for myself. Work that I wanted to do on my own terms.
Now, entering the second half of 2013, I'm making a point to get back into the swing of personal work. It's important. I want a bigger piece of that pie. Envying other artists for creating work that came from the soul ... I'm done with envying. I want to join in, too.
Here's what I've been up to while I've been away:
- I photographed 7 weddings under the B.S. Smith Photography brand, all the while hating my brand name.
- For the better part of 2012 I worked on a major rebrand effort, from brand image to brand philosophy to website design.
- January 1st 2013 I rebranded my photography business from B.S. Smith Photography to Novel Hill studio.
- I have photographed several weddings this year under the new brand name, with several more to come.
- I have made the decision to do inspirational shoots with my team to create works of art that tell stories and inspire us to up the ante.
- I changed my deviantART name from LethArt to novelhill.
For now, I'm back. I can't wait to see what everyone has been creating, to get back into the conversation here, to get inspired, and to share knowledge.
Here's my latest Deviation, from my upcoming Neverland inspiration shoot.
If you have the heart, please follow me on Facebook and subscribe to the Journal on my website. Let me know what you've been up to, too. I'd love to hear all about it!